Beet-Root has been fast gaining its reputation as a super-food and the reason probably lies in the fact that some studies have indicated that consumption of beet-root regularly lowers blood pressure, improves athletic performance and regulates blood flow too.
One glance at the nutritional value in a beet-root per 100 grams, and you find out that this root will contribute only 40 calories per 100 grams. That’s quite low for a vegetable that tastes comfortably sweet.
The beet-root has healthy amounts of Vitamin-C, Vitamin-B6, Iron and Magnesium. The vegetable also provides about 3 grams of fiber per 100 grams of its weight.
Possible Benefits of the Beet-Root
- Digestion and Daily Metabolism – The Beet-Root has healthy amounts of fiber that aids digestion
- Inflammation – Some studies indicate that the Beet-Root possibly helps in reducing chronic inflammation
- Exercise&Athletic Performance – The inclusion of the Beet-Root in a high nitrate diet, possibly increases the exercise tolerance during a long term high endurance exercise. This in turn helps to increase the athletic performance
Betacyanin- The Beet-Root Dye
Betacyanin, or the beet-root dye imparts a bright red color to the vegetable. Not every body has the capacity to break down Betacyanin. This is also the reason why the next day morning, when you move your bowels, you might have imparted the bright red color to your stools.
Caution: Do not worry if your stool turns red the next day after you have this smoothie. Beet-root does that to your stools.
The Food Transit Test
This smoothie has a dual importance. While the nutrients are of immense benefit for your body, the Betacyanin helps you to monitor the transit time for the food you eat. Generally, a healthy digestive system is able purge its contents once every 18 to 24 hours. You can consider consuming this beet-root smoothie and noting down the time. If your colon purges bright red feaces within one day, you can safely say that you have a healthy colon otherwise you may think of hydrating your body more often, or increasing fiber to your diet and including exercise as well.
The Beetroot and Spinach Smoothie Recipe
- 1 medium sized beet-root
- 1/2 handful of Spinach
- 50 ml of Water (Use as per consistency needed)
Make sure you have chopped the beet-root into fine pieces.This is in effect to protect the blender blades.Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend them well at high-speed for about 30-45 seconds. The smoothie might not become as creamy as the other recipes. Consider serving this smoothie at slightly cooler temperatures. The smoothie should serve 1.
- Try adding a medium sized citrus fruit to impart a better taste.
- Try adding grapes for a better taste
Other Smoothie Recipes on the Website: